In This Section
Using Code To Optimise UX
Is Your Web Page Mobile Friendly?
User or page experience is not to be confused with content information.
- UI = good-looking design
- UX = fast and logically accessibility
So how important are they?
Well, Google clearly states that a great page experience doesn’t override having great page content. However, we don’t know the weight of each object.
It is less about the narrative. Think deliverability
It is more about accessing data correctly. It is a user-centric metric that rewards fast, easy-to-read pages. In a sense, it is a way of validating a good website.
Fast websites = good information delivery. (It does not mean quality information.)
Google and Experience
Although quantifying an acceptable ‘experience’ on a website is subjective, Google believes it is a testimony to a website’s trustability and legitimacy and should be measured.
The logic is, ‘if you invest in your website’s speed, then surely you care about your online presence.’
Speed can be computed, measured and graded.
Google would argue that it has conducted extensive research into what makes for the ideal UX, and they are generally correct.
Hence in June 2021, Google released the Core Web Vitals update, UX metrics part of SEO. More.
Essential metrics for a healthy website
Did the page load quickly, and are all elements present and correct? Again, it is all about the quality of data accessibility.
Google believes that quality content should have a ‘top-quality’ delivery.’
Web Vitals Metrics
Quantify The Experience Of Your Website
Core Web Vitals | Mobile-friendly | HTTPS | Intrusive interstitials
Creating a better web. Googles want a fast and furious search experience where the user is everything. The above are all subsets of Google's page experience" score. It is Google's way of keeping us honest and in tune with the user experience.
Google offers its own stats that slow load time equals higher bounce rates. These come as no surprise.
Adhering to these new rules is essential for a high Google ranking.
- Some are simple, like HTTPS; just secures your site.
- Intrusive interstitials are ads or pop-ups that hide content and are made for poor UX.
- Core Web Vitals are another thing altogether. They compose three user experience quality metrics: loading, interactivity, and visual stability. These are basically how fast and how well a web page loads.
- Mobile-friendly is a mixture of all of the above. Web vitals is a way of measuring responsive success across devices.
Vanilla Circus can help you with all of the above.
- Sometimes plugins are suitable,
- More often than not, images need optimising,
- CSS could need improving for mobile
- Colours need a re-think
- CTAs need an update
A host of minor tweaks can improve your user's experience of your website and, most importantly, allow them to buy into your brand and open their wallets.