What is working, what’s not
Everything has to begin with a plan. The SEO we undertake for your business must align with your company’s business goals and other marketing campaigns.
Discovery is a step back and for VC to listen and learn.
The idea is not to reinvent the wheel. Whichever website ranks #1 tell us exactly what we need to do for your business’s SEO.
Eliminates the guesswork: data gathering
It is essential to VC that your marketing campaign on Google is successful. Most of our commercial clients stay with us for, on average, 48 months. If we don’t understand your business model and brand, our creative work will not be as effective.
This is what we call the discovery phase.
Where we start
All new clients at VC have documents created before we begin any of our strategising. We use fact-finding documents as an umbrella document that impacts our strategy for a client. It also includes operation level data, key personnel to report to, KPIs, company vision etc.
We can this a support document. See an example.
This document includes the following:
- Working together
- Who in your company do we need to know? Who are the key personnel regarding our work?
- Who do we go to for sign off or any verification on facts etc?
- Company News, Special promotions, case studies, white papers etc.
- Which product does your operation wish to push at different times of year
- Your marketing strategy/plan outlining any new goals and targets for each quarter
- Recent sales presentations, updates, service or product changes etc.
- Any additional business-related information that can help guide the team
- New client acquisition/New Case studies
- Including any new won awards or affiliations your are particularly proud of
- Marketplace analysis
- Define Audience
- Defining your ideal online customer
- What does your ideal customer demographic look like?
- Target Audience
- Brand guidelines
- Voice, logos what can be said, what cannot be said
- Facts we can use/people we can quote
- Industry-specific guidelines, any acronyms or industry-speak we need to be aware of
- KPIs: defining targets and goals
- Business/SEO Goals and targets
- Past Keyword data
- Past SEO data
“The process is to look at the support document and see how the data can be interpreted from an SEO perspective.”
Online Marketplace analysis
We begin with a study of the market a client is in and reflected in Google’s search results. Then, who are the main competitors? What are they doing more successfully SEO and content-wise than the client?
The idea is not to reinvent the wheel. Whichever website ranks #1 tell us exactly what we need to do.
Competitor website analysis
We analyse three competitors’ web data. If these websites rank above or client in Google, then if we supersede the below metrics, we should rank above them, all things equal. These metrics can include:
- Number of pages
- Number of blogs
- Backlink profile
- Off-page metrics, social media, reviews
- Use of language
- Site architecture
- Internal linking
- External linking
- On-page optimisation
- Use of code
The majority of our clients have had SEO work done to their websites and are have enough keyword data to last a lifetime. There are many sources of data on keyword traffic and popularity. What is perhaps more important is how these keywords convert into sales and leads. The popularity of a keyword or phrase does not always reflect high conversion rates.
We look at all new clients sites technically, from speed testing to code analysis. Of course, all websites have some technical problems from time to time. However, we are looking for how these issues affect how Google interprets the website or how code flaws affect conversion.
The discovery phase is always about speaking often with a client’s team and paying attention to all-important detail.
NEXT: Logins & Data
Page Updated: March 21, 2022